MOTHERS DAY

Its Mothers Day in the USA today May 13 2018.

When I think of Mothers Day I automatically think of my Mother and my Grandmother of course. My Grandmother was also my God Mother.  So yes, I think of those and my other Grandmother that lived across the road from us where I grew up.

My Mother will be 88 this year on her birthday in October, so I have had a long time with her in my life.  When I think of her on Mothers Day, I remember all the great things she did for us when we were children, like taking us camping for instance at Epping Forest in Enfield.  Showing us how to set up a tent and camp as if that we were going to live there for ever.  It was heaps of fun.  The only thing I didn't like was the creepy crawlies that could get into your tent otherwise it was a wonderful time for me and my sisters.  Another lovely thing she would do in the summer would be to rent a room at  a bed and breakfast at the ocean.  Sometimes our grandmother would come with us.  I remember that she would rent a shed on the beach for us to use while we spent the whole day at the beach.  It was a small dwelling and they were lined all along the shore for people to rent.  Then she would rent an umbrella for us to sit under so we would not get burned under the sun.  We played until our hearts were bursting with contentment.  The ladies would be making tea in the shed, and have tea cakes to go with.  In the afternoon they would go and buy cockles and mussels and other shellfish at the shellfish shack that was permanently fixed on the promenade.  In the evening they would take us to go and play bingo or some other games that lined the streets of the ocean town that we would be in.

I remember that my Mother made our Christmas' a real treat and surprise on Christmas morning with an amazing Christmas tree lit with the brightest lights and covered in angel hair which we thought was absolutely beautiful and she would perch the tree on one of her tables in the dining room which would give it an added sense of lumination in front of the dining room window.

My mother was very hard working some times working two jobs at the same time.  when she was young she was in the women's air force in the UK.  She brought us up as though we were subscriptors of the forces ourselves.  See your face in your shoes -. bounce a penny off your made bed in the morning that sort of thing.

Well I hope she has many more Mothers days in her future -- she has four children three girls and one boy and we sure hope she has many lovely days ahead of her.

Here is to all Mothers today -- have a good one.  You Deserve It!!!


painting by Brand
Oil on canvas
18 x 24

Comments

  1. I think you are and amazing artist and a very good writer. Love you mum

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I AM BACK !

I got a DOG...she is an AUSTRALIAN SHEEP DOG MINATURE

FOUND RELATIVE!