MY LATEST PURSE MADE FROM A DRESS IN THE CLOSET

THIS IS MY NEW PURSE


I just finished making my latest purse.  I have been making them now for about six years.


This one was made from a dress that was hanging in the closet for at least three years and I decided that since I had not worn it -- I probably was not going to wear it.  So I took the dress (which I liked the material just not crazy about the design of the dress), and came up with making a blouse out of it and then with what was left a new purse.


First I cut the dress in two pieces, one big enough for the blouse, and then enough left for a purse with the remaining piece.  Next I make a pattern out of paper (whatever paper I happen to have in the house)  you can use brown paper from a bag from the grocery store or parchment paper / wax paper that you have in your kitchen.  I have even used left over Christmas paper that is on a roll sitting in the back of my closet waiting for next Christmas to come out.


The pattern is made from a design that I sketch first on a piece of drawing paper, so that I know what the shape is suppose to look like and as a guide when I am making the pattern.  Remember to add 3/8 inch to each pattern piece for the seams.  Then cut out the pattern and write in black pen on each piece -- where it goes on the purse -- and how many to cut.


Next do that again for the lining and the stiffener.  You may only want to cut out a few pieces for the stiffener.  You decide where you want your bag to be stiff but dont forget to cut out the pieces for the straps.  I buy the strongest underlayment that they have at the store for this project.  Mark the lining and underlayment pieces as you did for the original cut out purse.


Cut out pieces for an inner purse pocket or two or in this case for the purse I cut out a pocket for the outside on the front to hold my phone.  Its great -- it just slips into the pocket.  Measure the fabric to be 3/8 " around bigger than the phone.


While you are making the purse be thinking about what decorations you would like to finish the purse with.  I like to do an embroidery pattern stitch on the straps, and then I look for an emblem or accessory such as buttons or in this case of my black and white purse I found some beads to put on the front.
Its quite fun to be imaginative and find some different ways to decorate your purse that makes it unique and one of a kind purse that only you know where you got it!!

What is really fun is when you wear your new blouse with matching purse.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I AM BACK !

I got a DOG...she is an AUSTRALIAN SHEEP DOG MINATURE

FOUND RELATIVE!